photo by Richard Schumacher, from the 2010 Kitbash Contest meeting
Our annual Kitbash Contest kit will be distributed, along with the contest instructions, at the Gateway Division NMRA monthly meeting on Monday, July 21, 2014 at Trinity Church. The kit is an ideal structure kit for kitbashing and is available in HO and N scales.
The contest is to encourage building and to improve your skills, yet the number of kits returned last year for the contest was very disappointing with only 36% of the kits returned. Therefore, this year to encourage you to build and enter the contest. you will be charged a nominal amount ($10.00) for the kit and the $10.00 will be returned to you when you submit your model for the contest judging at our November 17, 2014 holiday meeting. Bring $10.00 to the July 21st meeting and pickup your kit.
Again to encourage members to enter the contest we will again have the two categories to enter: “Craftsmen,” for past kitbash contest winners, and “Novice,” for those that have not previously won.
Let’s try for 100% of the kits being returned in November for the contest. Finish your kit a little earlier and bring it to the Gateway NMRA Train Show Model Contest, November 1 & 2, 2014, so that Fall Meet attendees can see your work.
2014 Kitbashing Contest Rules
1. Build the diorama.
2. Have Fun.
3. The buildings are to be on a base that does not exceed one square foot in area. It may be any shape as long as it does not exceed 1 square foot (144 square inches).
4. The base may be flat or contoured.
5. A background is allowed, but is not required.
6. Additional materials may be used in building the diorama.
7. The house kit may be modified in any way desired by the builder.
8. The 3-house kit does not have to be built as three houses. Think out of the box, use your imagination – a long freight house or bunkhouse, a 2-story and 1-story house, a 3-story house, commercial buildings, etc.
9. Figures, miscellaneous details and scenery may be added to the diorama and are encouraged.
10. There will again be two categories of entrees, “Craftsman” (for previous award winners) and “Novice” (no previous kitbashing contest award).
11. Dioramas are to be built and returned for judging at the November 17, 2014 Gateway NMRA meeting at Trinity Church.