Arrangements have been made to have a joint group Gateway Division NMRA and St. Louis Chapter NRHS tour of the Continental Fabricators, 5601 West Park Ave., St. Louis, Missouri, on Saturday, September 15, 2018, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Here’s a great way to welcome early fall by touring Continental Fabricator’s fabrication shop. Continental fabricates pressure vessels, towers, drums, and many more items. They have special expertise in fabricating, restoring and rehabbing steam locomotive boilers. Presently, they are producing a new pressure vessel, a 3-1/2 course boiler, and a smoke box for the Pennsylvania Railroad T1 #5550 4-4-4-4 steam locomotive; a new boiler for Mid-Continent Railway Museum’s former Chicago & NorthWestern #1385 4-6-0; restoring the boiler for U.S. Sugar Co. 4-6-2 #148; restoring the boiler for Grapevine Tourist RR #1344; restoring the boiler for Nickel Plate RR 2-8-4 #765; and restoring a miniature boiler for the Wabash, Frisco and Pacific RR.
Attendance is limited to just 30 people! You must be a Gateway NMRA or St. Louis NRHS member to attend. Mark your calendar and set the time aside.
Safety Requirements: Continental Fabricators operate their shop 24/7, three shifts per day. This will be our first tour of a fabrication shop under Actual Working Conditions! Safety is paramount!
- Good pair of walking shoes. No need for safety shoes. No open-toed shoes.
- Regular eyeglasses with safety lens are acceptable; otherwise, safety goggles (bring your own).
- No tank tops. No hard hats required.
- Earplugs are suggested as arc welding and other fabrication machinery can get loud. If you don’t have them they can be provided.
- ADA accessibility – none, as shop floor is rough and uneven. The floor is neither wheelchair nor walker friendly.
More information will be provided as to directions, parking, etc. for those who are signed up.
Sign up sheets will be available at upcoming meetings or you may contact Ron Gawedzinski, firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 314-846-5559.